8/20/07

Thoughts about Web 2.0

First, I have to admit I had to use Google to figure out what OCLC is. Even though it sounded familiar, I could not think what the acronym stands for. So much for "one-button commands" -- kind of ironic, not a single link there was to the homepage, their own article about being user-friendly was not. So I learned from the first google page of hits that OCLC is Online Computer Library Center.

My other thoughts about the OCLC newsletter are even less "progressive," so I'll keep them to myself. I'll just say that there is nothing wrong with having a place where you can simply walk to and just by browsing the shelf find an obscure book you always wanted to read or simply leaf through. And there is nothing wrong with having to click more than one button to find information. I think libraries are a reflection of the society, but I also think they (we) shape it in a way, and we don't need to contribute to shortening people's attention span and convincing them that if something is more than one click away, it's not worth the effort.

Moving on...

No comments: