8/17/07

Technorati

It was only a matter of time until the blog community started working on its own search engine and came up with Technorati. It was just common sense. Technorati itself is not always. The most obvious feature that Technorati is missing (or is it me who is missing it? or simply can't find it?) is the opportunity to sort search results by relevance. I have had entries that don't even have the word I was searching for come up among the first five. Just to test it, I did a search on Technorati and on Google, using exact same terms and adding the word "blogs" on Google and I found much more relevant and interesting results. Besides, if you take an extra step before you put in your search term, you can get to the Google search page that only searches blogs. Another drawback of Technorati is that it may "find" your keywords in book titles people list as favorites, and those "hits" are really useless. Search by tags was more satisfying, and I was pleasantly surprised by some video "hits" relevant to my search.

I'm not going to mess with tags on Technorati -- I understand the concept, the site looks like it would be easy to figure it out, I just don't see the need -- my blog doesn't have any earth-shattering information or insights, so I'm not going to clutter cyberspace just because I can.

Thing # 14 -- check!

No comments: